Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Leftover Muffins

What do you do when you have a bunch of leftovers? Make muffins! Just think of it: You usually have some eggs, flour and milk laying around, and therefore you have the base ingredients for muffins. You can throw in that leftover ham lunch meat, bit of cheese and some rosemary to make a batch of savory muffins for your coworkers. Or maybe you have some smoked salmon and chives - what better presentation than in the form of a muffin?

In this case, I had some leftover strawberries, blueberries and lemons, so in they went into my base muffin recipe (lemons = lemon zest. The juice was used for some fish I made.). I went the extra mile and made a struesel topping with some butter, brown sugar and flour. The result? Deliciously moist, very berry muffins that were suitable as a gift.

I used my leftovers, and came out looking like a gift giving fool! Who woulda thunk it?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Savory muffins are awesome, and so few people do them. Your gift recipients will (properly) think you brilliant!