Thursday, May 10, 2007

Izayoi: Yoi, This is So Good!

There are many lunch options in Little Tokyo, but the most popular is probably the lunch "sets" at Sushi Gen. Patrons line up an hour before opening to get their famous sashimi plate, complete with all the fixins' (miso, seaweed salad, etc.). I can't remember the price, but it's really cheap.

We stopped by Sushi Gen yesterday, but didn't have time to wait, so we opted to go to Izayoi instead. I'd heard that they, too, offer good lunch sets, so my bro-in-law J and coworker Jackie decided to check it out. J started with one order of kohada (Gizzard shad) sushi, then chose the sashimi lunch set. It had yellowtail, tuna, salmon, squid, scallop, egg, octopus and a couple of other fishes I can't recall. Like all the lunch sets, it came with miso soup, rice, pickled cabbage and a small seaweed salad - all for $11.50.

Jackie and I both ordered the sushi set. It came with three tuna rolls, three cucumber rolls, then more tuna, salmon, yellow tail, shrimp, unagi, egg and one other fish I can't recall. Everything was incredibly fresh and delicious, especially the salmon, which literally - I mean literally - melted in my mouth. Ours also came with all the extras, and also only cost $11.50.



Because my sister had mentioned that Izayoi serves cream korokke, we had to get it. It's basically like a creamy croquette, with bits of shellfish in it. So I suppose it's like a really creamy crab cake, but way better. It came with a spicy mayo, and tonkatsu sauce for dipping. It really is a bit of heaven. As Giada would say, "It's crispy and light on the outside, and creamy and warm and rich on the inside, with bits of crab meat and shrimp...it's salty and creamy and amazing!"



I recommend getting there early-ish, around noon, as by the time we were wrapping up our lunch at 1 p.m., there were several people waiting for tables. It's no Sushi Gen madness, but you'll be better off if you come early.

132 Central Avenue
Los Angeles, CA
90012

3 comments:

H. C. said...

I went there for dinner -- significantly pricier but still reasonable given the yumminess of the food. :)

Thistlemoon said...

I am drooling.....

Erin S. said...

Mmmm...I love me some izayoi. Tried to go the other night for a late dinner, but they close up shop before 10 I guess. Thanks for making me drool on my keyboard on a sloooow Friday afternoon!