Thursday, May 24, 2007

My First Allocation

Last year, my boss gave me a bottle of SeaSmoke pinot noir. I only knew the name from the movie, "Sideways," but I was eager to try it. I ended up serving it at a girl's dinner at my place, and I can honestly say it was one of the best pinots I've ever had.

I buy wine regularly. Heck, I even know a thing or two about wine. My philosophy on choosing the "right" wines is based on a) what I like; and b) what goes with the food I'm eating. I don't follow the "rules," per se, and if I think a rich cab sav goes with my flaky white fish dish, then so be it.

I usually buy my wine from Trader Joe's, Bev Mo, Whole Foods and occasionally at Silverlake Wine and the Cheesestore of Silverlake. Some of my favorites include the Hess Select cab, the Cloudy Bay savignon blanc and the Brophy Clark pinots. But rarely do I spend more than $20 a bottle (unless I am at a restaurant). However, the SeaSmoke changed my mind, and - late last year - I signed up for their allocation list.

I recently got my allocation notice, and will be getting four bottles of the Southing, one bottle of the Botella, and one of the Ten. It's a small number of bottles, which is fine since it's my first wine allocation ever. It's also more than I usually spend but these wines are absolutely worth it. Too bad they won't be ripe for another year or so - more waiting!

I feel so grown up.

No comments: