When I was a child, one of my favorite desserts was a Pistachio Dream bar. It consisted of a shortbread crust, pistachio pudding and Cool Whip topping. So when
Helen of Tartlette announced that
HHDD #11 would be on mousse, I decided to try and recreate this dessert, but with a touch of gourmet flair.
One thing I found out quite quickly: It's nearly impossible to find pistachio extract. So I did some research and found that it's pretty easy to make a pistachio milk reduction that can be used in place of extract. You simply grind some raw pistachios into powder, add milk, cook down until thick and strain. You end up with a yellow-ish green reduction that has a very strong pistachio flavor:
I wanted my mousse to be a little on the thick/dense side, as I planned to make a stack that had a shortbread bottom AND top. I mixed together some ground pistachios, pistachio reduction, sugar, marscapone, ricotta, vanilla extract and whipped cream.
Mixing mousse ingredients
Then I created a pistachio shortbread: butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and chopped pistachios. Instead of rolling them out and cutting out circles, I waited until after the shortbread was baked to cut.
Because shortbread comes out somewhat soft, it's much easier to cut rounds out of an already-baked shortbread. This takes out the tedious chore of rolling out dough. The circles came out clean and even:
Now the best part: assembly! I piped the mousse onto a shortbread circle, topped with a bit of fresh whipped cream, then topped with another shortbread circle and a few pistachios. Because shortbread is nice and crumbly, it's very easy to cut through all the layers with a fork without the mousse oozing out of the sides. The shortbread isn't too sweet, and works really well with the rich, sweet pistachio mousse. The flavor of the pistachio really came through, and you get a nice little crunch because of the finely chopped nuts in the mix. All in all it came out wonderfully and it took me back to my childhood. Next time, however, I may add a few drops of green food coloring, just for presentation.
Pistachio Mousse Shortbread Stack

Pistachio Shortbread Rounds
2 sticks (1/2 cup) butter at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped pistachios
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix by hand until a dough forms. Spread the dough out on a cookie sheet (dough will cover about half of a regular-sized cookie sheet) until about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly golden. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, immediately cut rounds out of baked shortbread, then let cool. Makes approx one dozen rounds.
Pistachio Mousse Shortbread Stack
3 tablespoons Pistachio Reduction (see recipe below)
1 cup ricotta cheese - room temperature
1/2 cup marscapone cheese - room temperature
1/2 cup super fine sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup fine ground pistachios
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup slightly sweet whipped cream
Pistachio Shortbread Rounds
Pistachio halves (for garnish)
Combine first 6 ingredients with a whisk until smooth. Carefully fold in 1/2 cup of slightly sweetened whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Pipe onto shortbread rounds, then top with remaining whipped cream, another shortbread round and garnish with pistachios.
Pistachio Reduction
1 cup of finely ground pistachios
2 cups whole milk
Combine pistachios and milk in a sauce pan, and bring to a boil - stirring constantly. Turn heat the very low and continue cooking for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mixture will get very thick and slightly lumpy. Pour through a fine sieve and allow mixture to cool at room temperature. Store in jar or plastic container and refrigerate for 3 hours or until cold.
13 comments:
Hard work pays off...proof is in the mousse..ahahah. Seriously, great job!
Yum!
That sounds fantastically delicious.
So heavenly... and a used for those pistachios after folks finds out that, unlike the ad campaign, everyone's *not so* nuts
Oh my - your pistachio mousse looks terrific!
the textures here would be wonderful...the silky smoothness og the mousse against the crumbly shortbread !....definately a a hit on the dinner table.
These look wonderful Clare. A great idea.
Thanks for joining HHDD
Helene: Thanks! I had a lot of fun making this!
Paul: I love me some pistachio, so the HHDD inspired me to do it.
H.C. Pistachios are definitely the best nut!
Shawnda: Thanks!!
Kate: I am a sucker for shortbread, and mousse, and the combo worked really well!
Barbara: Thanks so much! I am semi new to food blogging and love participating in these events. Esp since I am a big Donna fan!
You give me an idea of what to do with pistachio! Great work!
I can't believe I never thought of making a pistachio mousse !
Love anything made with rounds, always looks fanastic. My husband would love a pistachio mousse.
What a beautiful presentation. I never would have considered pistachios in mousse. Thanks for the inspiration.
I really, REALLY want to eat those. I am also very intrigued by the pistachio reduction - seems like lots of tasty fun could be had with such a thing.
Arfi: Thank you!
Foodie in Paris: If I hadn't recently seen my old childhood favorite, it would have never occured to me either! :)
Cheryl: I'm a fan of rounds too. I was surprised how easy it was to cut these after the shortbread was baked.
CC: The thing to keep in mind is that this is a much heavier mousse (with the ricotta and marscapone) than most...it's super rich and thick. I think by itself, it might be too much :) Next time I may try to lighten it up a bit.
Mallow: I'm considering making some more reduction so I can make pistachio scones from my leftover nuts. Cool name, btw!
Post a Comment