Even with my new hair cut, I'm still pretty out of sorts thanks to the on-going back issues. I'm still in physical therapy and next week I meet with my neurosurgeon - the guy who performed my back surgery just over a year ago. My hope is that he'll run some tests, find out what's wrong and find some non-surgical way to magically fix me right up. In the meantime, I'm doing everything I can to help the healing process along.
I am doing my physical therapy exercises every day, even if it means I have to use the conference room at work to lay down on the floor and do my stretches. And I'm trying to eat mainly anti-inflammatory foods, and low-carb, low-fat meals. I generally eat healthy but this no sugar, no processed starch thing is challenging. Thank God I can cook!
So here's a snapshot of what I've been eating:
Breakfast: Hard-boiled egg, 2 slices of Canadian bacon, 3 small tomatoes
Snack: 2 celery sticks with hummus
Lunch: Grilled chicken, roasted asparagus, cauliflower puree
Snack: 2 celery sticks with almond butter
Dinner: Grilled steak, tomato and cucumber salad (pictured above)
Of course I've fallen off course a couple of times, but that's the key to sanity. I highly recommend that everyone have one cheat meal a week. Last Sunday I had a slice of my sister's plum tart, and I did indulge in some wine at the Chateau last Saturday. How could I not? The sommelier brought out a bottle of a 2005 Peay Vineyards Pomarium Pinot Noir, and it was fabulous. And totally worth it!
Overall, it's been surprisingly easy, probably because I feel so much lighter and that, in and of itself, is a big motivator. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks, and have already shed 5 lbs. I wish I could say it's helping my back pain, but I'm still hopeful.





No comments:
Post a Comment