Friday, February 16, 2007

Attack of the Killer Muffins

This is what was waiting for me in the kitchen when I got to the office this morning. We have a ritual of buying donuts/bagels/other sweet & fatty treats for breakfast on Fridays. It's a really nice gesture but after checking the nutritional info, I think I better stick to my super high fiber grain cereal or an Omega-3 egg. Yeah, that's like having a tempeh patty when you really want a porterhouse, but I guess it's all about balance (remember the BLT I had yesterday?). So I passed on these today.

Muffin: "Eat me!" Pastry: "No, eat ME! I have more butter!"

Just to make it easier on myself (because these treats will be sitting on the counter for the rest of the day, calling out to me to just have a bite), I looked up the calories. The data was enough to send me running for the broccoli and cayenne-maple-water-cleanse hills, let me tell you.

Chocolate muffin: 700 calories; 36 grams of fat (7 sat. fat); 50 grams sugar

Apple danish: 600 calories; 32 grams of fat (14 sat. fat); 44 grams sugar

Blueberry muffin: 680 calories; 38 grams of fat (7 sat. fat); 44 grams sugar

Banana muffin: 740 calories; 38 grams of fat (5 sat. fat); 54 grams sugar

Blueberry danish: 600 calories; 32 grams of fat (14 sat fat); 42 grams sugar

Thanks, but no.

2 comments:

H. C. said...

well, something's gotta keep the muffins moist (& it's called butter/shortening/margarine). Ugh - I had two danishes and a few mini bran muffins this week (somewhat healthier, but still). At least I tried to squeeze some extra exercise in... and will be doing a 5K run tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

i guess i will stick with my oatmeal for breakfast, or a poached egg....