Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday Brunch for One, Sushi Gen

My Sunday mornings usually involve cleaning out the fridge of all the previous week's leftovers and trying to figure out how to use them up before my afternoon cooking for the current week gets going. Today I was left with some teriyaki rainbow trout, caramelized cauliflower and roasted asparagus with sea salt. What comes to mind when you have a mish mash of stuff? HASH!


Fixin's on the cutting board

I'm not sure what the exact definition of hash is, but I've always considered it a mash up of whatever you have around. I've had crab hash, sweet potato hash, vegetarian hash...and none of those hashes had a single common ingredient. It's a myth that a hash has to have potatoes in it (OK, I've written the word "hash" way too many times in that last paragraph...the editor in me is totally irritated right now).

I simply chopped up the fish, cauliflower and asparagus and threw it into a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. The result was a healthy, nutty (from the caramelized cauliflower - Michael Chiarello would be proud. Is it just me or does that guy say "caramelization" 500 times per episode?) and all-around fabulous h-a-s-h. Over a slice of toasted, gluten-free brown bread, this was the perfect Sunday brunch for one. Don't be alarmed by the portion size...this is 75% veggies!

I'll call this my "Caramelized Cauli and Rainbow Trout Green Hash." OK, maybe dish-naming isn't my forte. In any case, I highly recommend h-a-s-h as an easy way to rid your fridge of leftovers.


Perfect Sunday morning hash




Sushi Gen - Little Tokyo


I recently had the pleasure of going to Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo for lunch. I've heard a lot about this place - most people say it's some of the freshest, most reasonably-priced sushi in LA. There are some major haters as well, but I guess where there's lovers there's gonna be haters (especially on Chowhound).

Though I chose the sashimi omakase (boss was treating, so why not?), I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the preparation of the infamous lunch special. This is what people stand in line for: A generous plate of sashimi and braised fish, all beautifully arranged on a plate. The sushi chef who was putting this together told me he generally does about 200 plates per day! Watch him go:





The most impressive thing about the sushi plate special? It's only $12.99. Yup, you read right. I would say this is easily $25 worth of sashimi if you were to order each fish separately. From the photo, it looks like you get some tuna, toro (wow!), octopus, hamachi, salmon, braised tuna, squid and a couple of other treats.



I believe this special is also available at dinner time (I think, don't quote me on that) at a higher price - around $20, I *think.* The best part about this lunch? It completely and totally suits my anti-inflammatory dietary requirements!

Sushi Gen
422 E. 2nd Street
Los Angeles, CA
213.617.0552








4 comments:

H. C. said...

Welcome to the food bloggin' fray, Clare! The sushi gen lunch looks/sounds like a great deal (esp. if toro's involved)!

HyunKyung said...

I love Sushi Gen!

matt chou said...

Sushi Gen is my favorite Sushi restaurant in Los Angeles, so far...

Check out my friend's Sushi Gen review as well. Good times...

http://www.50meals.com/2007/02/10/sushi-gen/

Clare said...

H.C. - Thanks! I would highly recommend a lunch at Sushi Gen, you will love it.

Kxgen - I'm with ya. Best deal in town.

Matt - Thanks for the review heads up!