Friday, April 13, 2007

Last Minute Idea: Pesto Crusted Trout

Last week I bought some fabulously fresh trout from Whole Foods and boy, did I have plans for it. Since I've always been a fan of poached fish, but have never poached fish before, I was looking forward to trying this delicate method of cooking fish. I had big plans, too: I would buy some red curry paste, coconut milk, sweet basil and red onions and cook up a soupy curry with which I would poach the trout. It was Sunday night, and my mouth was watering at the idea that Curried Poached Trout would be my lunch for the week.

I went through the aisle at Ralph's grocery store, picking up my basil, red onions, curry paste and...oh wait...they're out of coconut milk? My eyes darted up and down, side to side, desperately seeking one, just one can of this necessary ingredient. Not a single bleedin' can. There I stood, defeated, in front of the mockingly empty space where the coconut milk usually sits. And being a Sunday night, I didn't have the time or energy to go to another store.

So I went back through the aisles, returning the paste and the red onions; after all, I had already done my weekly grocery shopping so I didn't really need these items if they were not going to be a part of my fabulous poaching fish party for one.

When I got home, I realized I'd forgotten to put the basil back. As we all know, basil turns into a slimy bunch of blackness after only a few days, so I needed to figure out how to use the basil with the fish. Before you could say, "presto," it hit me: PESTO!

Mini food processor for pesto making

I had some pine nuts left over from the quinoa I made the previous week, and I always have Parmesan and olive oil in the kitchen. I used my handy mini-food chopper (which I got at Walgreens for $12 - it's a cheapo but it works great for stuff like this) and blended all the ingredients together. Next I slathered the pesto onto my raw trout, sealed it in a Tupperware and let it sit in the fridge for four hours.

Pesto massage for the trout

Now I know some Italians think using Parmesan on fish is akin to blasphemy, so to those of you I say this: Look away! Shield your occhi! But before you do, I have to say that the Parmesan in the pesto creates a delicious, light crust on the fish when you cook it.

Momma mia! Pesto fish-o!

The pesto trout was excellent, and I will definitely be making it again. I've been eating it almost every day for lunch this week, alongside the roasted carrots and the stir fried Chinese spinach I made a few days ago.

In a word? Squisito!

Pesto Crusted Trout

1 bunch of basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 lb of trout fillets
Olive oil spray

In a food processor, blender or food chopper, mix the basil and pine nuts until finely chopped. Add in the Parmesan, garlic and olive oil and blend until smooth. Rub the pesto onto the fish - covering both sides - then put the fish into a plastic container and seal tightly. Refrigerate for 2-5 hours.

Spray a grill or saute pan with olive oil, and turn on heat to medium. Cook the trout on each side for about 5 minutes, or until cooked. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your blog. I just found it. The pesto fish looked really good.
Check out my blog too:
www.foodnetworkmusings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

MMMM....fish! "Presto...Pesto" FUNNNNNYYYY. Aaaahhhhhhh, I just love to read your food stories! And I can't wait to get someone to cook this for me. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Bring it on doll!