Monday, July 27, 2009

Alfajores

Ever since I saw Matt Armendariz on the Martha Stewart show making his fabulous alfajores cookies, I've been dreaming about making (and eating!) them myself. I love the idea of a tender cookie sandwich filled with dulce de leche, one of my all-time favorite flavors.

So the other day I decided to bake up a batch for the trio of sushi chefs at my favorite joint, Z's in Alhambra. Since I work from home, I don't have co-workers to bake treats for, and I couldn't possibly keep these around as I would, no doubt, eat them all myself. I followed this recipe but also added a teaspoon of orange zest to the dough, and then mixed a teaspoon of Cointreau into the dulce de leche for a little added orange-y flavor. They were everything I thought they would be: soft, buttery and delicious!

2 comments:

matt said...

WHOA! Ok, I neeeeeeed to try your version now! Adding extra orange flavor throughout would totally set these over the top! Wow wow wow!


Ok, now you must make a few for me :)

pixen said...

totally agreed with your orange zest idea... that's extra zing! :-)