Though I've eaten at the Chateau Marmont restaurant (not to be confused with the Bar Marmont) dozens of times, I've never taken any photos of the food as cameras are generally frowned upon at this celeb-favorite hangout. But I feel I owe it to both my readers and the restaurant to write about it, because it really is a wonderful place for a nice, long, slow dinner.
So on my most recent visit, I managed to snap a few shots (sans flash). My friend Cat was in town, and because the Chateau is such a legendary LA spot, I had to take her there during her short visit. The four of us shared a few appetizers: the braised short-rib ravioli, which is essentially one, large ravioli stuffed with beautifully braised rib meat (fabulous), the fried risotto balls (uh, what's not to like??) and the fresh mozzarella with prosciutto and arugula (creamy, fresh, amazing). But, I forgot to take photos of our apps because I had already drunk a few glasses of the Hollis Pinot Noir and was feeling forgetful and silly. Suffice it to say, all three were excellent and I would highly recommend any/all of them.
For dinner, Cat had the duck breast entree. It comes with a crepe, also filled with duck meat, and a small salad. The duck was perfectly cooked and very tender. The crepe was also delicious, though a duck-filled crepe with a duck breast is a lot of duck for one person. Steve had the spaghetti bolognese, which was the favorite of the evening. For a restaurant that doesn't specialize in any particular cuisine, the Chateau knows how to do a fantastic bolognese. It's obviously made with veal, and the sauce is bold and creamy and incredibly luscious. If this was competition, Steve won.
Tawny went for the eggplant lasagna, but the photo I took of it was too dark so you won't see it here. It was just OK; too much cheese and not enough flavor. However, my potato-crusted halibut was delectable with its thin, crispy potato crust and tender, juicy halibut flesh. Really, really lovely.
The restaurant at the Chateau Marmont isn't exactly a foodie paradise, but it provides a wonderful atmosphere, fantastic service (the staff is friendly, courteous and helpful) and a wide variety of good, simple food. The cocktails, including a good number of old school favorites like the Pimm's Cup and the classic French 75, are perfect (as my cocktail-crazy friend Tawny would attest). It's just a lovely place all around, and one that I frequent for business dinners or just to chill out mid-week to break up the monotony.





No comments:
Post a Comment