Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving Feast at the Folks'

This year we had Thanksgiving at my parent's house, and it was fabulous. My sister, her husband, our friends Kayo and Mika, and I showed up with empty stomachs (well, Kayo had "pancakes and a sandwich" for lunch, but she's got a hollow leg so no matter) and were ready to feast. And what a feast it was! My sister and I clearly learned from the best!

We started off with my dad's sea urchin mousse with thinly sliced Japanese cucumbers and a yuzu dressing. Refreshing, light and the perfect way to start off Thanksgiving dinner.

My mom made her favorite watercress salad with Asian pears and champagne dressing. I love the peppery flavor of watercress.


This year my parents opted for canned cranberry sauce, which is fine considering we never eat much of the cranberries anyway.


Behold the lovely turkey, stuffed with a traditional Italian sausage bread stuffing! It was tender and juicy and perfectly cooked. And there's nothing like that crusty top from the stuffing sticking out of the bird.


We always have corn with our Thanksgiving meal. I love this white corn: sweet, crisp and delicious.


Another family tradition: oyster bread stuffing. This is absolutely the best stuffing in the world as far as I am concerned. Bread, butter, fat oysters, a little seasoning and some Panko breadcrumbs on top. FABULOUS.


Straight-up mashed potatoes. I really like the density of real mashed potatoes (as opposed to purees, which can be too watery or too doughy).


Here's a photo of my plate with everything, including my dad's homemade gravy with giblets.


My parent's pumpkin pie is not too sweet, which is the way our family generally likes desserts. It's light, creamy and really hits the spot!

Here's my slice, topped with sour cream (my parents mix a little sugar with sour cream - try it sometime, it's great on pumpkin pie).

No comments: