Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sushi in Denver

Who would have guessed that one can find very good sushi in Denver? Nothing against Colorado but it's easy to assume that any state not bordered by an ocean wouldn't compete against, say, California for fresh, clear-eyed, raw fish. After eating at Bara sushi in the DTC (Denver Tech Center) area of town, I stand corrected.

Since I was dining solo, I really wanted a sushi restaurant where I could cozy up to the bar, order the sushi piece by piece and hopefully have some good conversation with the chef. In Bara, I got it all plus more. Jason, the sushi chef at Bara, was friendly and funny and very good with his knife.

He made suggestions on the freshest offerings of the day (as any good sushi chef should), so I kind of just let him give me whatever he thought was best. I had yellowtail, salmon, halibut, Hokkaido scallops (not pictured - was so good I ate it before I took a photo!), shrimp, albacore (also not pictured, same reason) and unagi.


Everything was excellent, and the cold sake was smooth and chilly - just the way I like it. I wasn't even distracted by the television playing the first of the World Series games; it was Colorado versus the Red Socks and Colorado got their butts kicked, 13-1. OUCH. Lucky for me, most sports fans were at home watching the game, so Bara was relatively quiet that night.


Since I will be flying out to Denver every other month or so, I will definitely make Bara my regular sushi place there. It's minutes from all of the hotels in the area, the food is great and the atmosphere is relaxing and cozy. They also have a good number of cooked Japanese dishes, so maybe next time I'll try a few of those.

Thanks to Jason (shown here, looking tough with his knife) for his excellent sushi choices and good conversation!

No comments: