Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Quick Weekend Getaway: Part 3

In yesterday's entry, I forgot to mention that we went to a hotel bar for a quick drink after going to 230 Forest. It was the lounge area of the Hotel Laguna, and though there was a big group of cheesy wedding goers singing Barry Manilow songs, it was quite nice and we enjoyed our wine. There was a nice patio as well, with an ocean view and strong heat lamps. That's me, enjoying the view.

What? I can't show my face...this is a food blog!

The next day, we ventured out further into Dana Point for breakfast. Janet recalled passing by a "cute little place" that may serve breakfast, so we stopped there. It was Bonjour Cafe & Bistro, and it was, in fact, quite cute and they did, in fact, serve breakfast. The menu was exactly what I look for in a brunch menu: lots of interesting egg dishes, some delectable sweet and bready things plus a good variety of sides.

Bonjour! Breakfast wee wee!

Janet started with a cappuccino, which looked frothy and rich (she said it was great), and I got my usual decaf coffee. I know, DECAF? I gave up caffeine over 3 years ago and it just works for me. My rule is, no caffeine unless there's alcohol in it. In any case, the decaf was smooth and full-bodied, so I was happy.


For my breakfast, I ordered the Les Oeufs Poches Formidables with Scottish smoked salmon. Basically it's two pieces of toasted country bread with pesto spread, topped with poached eggs and the meat or fish of your choices (smoked ham or salmon). It also comes with tomato concasse in basil dressing and either a salad or potatoes. I chose the salad. For me, this is the perfect breakfast because a) I can and will eat poached eggs in and on everything/anything; 2) Toasted. Country. Bread. Say no more.; 3) Smoked salmon is one of my favorite types of fish. The dish was everything I wanted and more; the tomato concasse was like a salsa, but made with basil instead of cilantro and jalapeno. Delicious.


Janet got the Les Oeufs Broullies au Saumon Fume. That would be toasted brioche bread topped with two scrambled eggs, Scottish smoked salmon, onions, freshly chopped chives and Swiss cheese. She gave her breakfast two thumbs up, and it looked very appetizing from where I was sitting.

The service was a bit French (by that I mean slow and easy, like Sunday morning), but it was a Sunday morning and we were not in any hurry so it worked for us. And the food was excellent, as was the bread in their bread basket (which we devoured before I had a chance to take a pic, sorry!). The atmosphere was cozy and quaint, with patrons leisurely sipping coffee and reading the paper. I love places like this.

We had a half hour to kill before my Amtrak was to arrive, so we drove to the San Juan Capistrano station and walked around the little historical streets next to the station. There are a few adobe houses, plus a slew of cute little businesses (petting zoo, hair salon, cafes) in the area so it was a nice little walk before heading back up to LA.

Janet in the San Juan "jail" by the train station
Signage pointing to all the sights of San Juan, cute!

All in all it was a very relaxing and easy trip, one that I will do again someday soon.

3 comments:

1000steps said...

I'm glad you liked Bonjour. Us Dana Point locals have loved it for years.

1000Steps

http://octongue.blogspot.com/

Clare said...

Yeah, it was great. I wish we had something like that in Pasadena...

Allen said...

I'm envious of your weekend getaway! The leisurely Sunday morning breakfast sounds wonderful to me ... I'm all about a relaxing morning, as long as there is coffee and good food. :-)