Tuesday, March 27, 2007

K-Town BBQ & First Time @ Pinkberry!

I think my palate is growing a bit tired of French/California fusion-type food. I'm sure that you've all noticed the recent wave of nouveau food stuffs featured on this site. While braised meats, seared fishes and cream-based sauces are wonderful, I need to get back to the flava [<--oh yes I did!] and the spice of ethnic food.

So, I went to BCD Tofu House in Koreatown with the boss and coworker last week for lunch. There was a short wait when we arrived (good sign) and the patrons were mostly Koreans (another good sign). But the best sign was the straight-forward description of what BCD is all about, which is displayed prominently on their menu:


Three principles of BCD

*First, cleanliness.
*Second, warm heart.
*Third, top ingredients and taste.

I can appreciate a restaurant that states its philsophy straight-up, and I also like that all three of BCD's top principles are interchangeable. I wouldn't mind it if their first priority was top ingredients and taste, nor would I mind if the second was cleanliness, and the third was a warm heart. Then again, maybe it's nice to start with a warm heart, then focus on the cleanliness of the place. No matter the order, I like the sentiments.

A soup that will warm even the coldest heart

We ordered a few lunch sets - one for each person - but decided to share the main entrees. The sets include a hot tofu soup, a fried whole fish, rice, the main BBQ dish and tons of condiments. I started by ceremoniously cracking a raw egg into my boiling (literally) hot soup to let it cool. The soup itself was good, though not nearly as spicy as I would have liked.

BBQ meat, with fried fishies in the background

For our main entrees, we chose the BBQ pork, the BBQ beef ribs and the BBQ beef. All three were fantastic, though still not spicy enough for my taste. We asked for it "medium spicy," as most K-town places take that to mean Satan's-panties-on-fire hot, but clearly this was not the case with BCD. Still, the flavors were great and I thoroughly enjoyed every bite.


Rice, seaweed and soupy kimchi

My favorite condiments were the kimchi (though it wasn't spicy at all) and the jalapeno and raw oyster mix. When I was little, I used to eat kimchi with milk. I would take a big bite of kimchi, then, with the kimchi still in my mouth, I'd take a big swig of whole milk. No, I was not dropped on my head as a baby, and no, I no longer practice this curiously strange practice of kimchi eating. I do, however, enjoy the "combo bite" method of eating. A little bit of the oyster with a bite of hot rice = heaven. I also enjoyed the seaweed and the fried fish.


More kimchi, jalapeno/oyster stuff and pickles

Afterward, my boss wanted to hit Pinkberry since I'd never been before. I got a medium with blueberries and yogurt chips. It was good, but not wonderfully, fantastically, mind-blowingly great like everyone always says. And the lady at the counter scolded me for taking a pictures, snapping, "No photos allowed!" As if? Pinkberry is one of the most blogged about and most photographed food items on the planet Earth. Luckily I managed to get one shot before being reprimanded.

I prefer Pinkberry to other soft-serve frozen yogurt, and I will definitely have it again, but I won't say it's the best thing ever. A few weeks ago I tried a low-fat Raspberry and Cheese frozen yogurt at Baskin-Robbins, which I can proclaim as the Best Thing Ever (for now). Bits of graham cracker crust, ribbons of cream cheese and raspberry - now THAT is a low-fat dessert I can love.

Good, but not amazing

Sorry, Pinkberry. Love is just not in the cards for you and me.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Pinkberry is the happiest, most delicious place on earth... next to K-town's bbqs. Have you been to woorijip?! it's my favorite! i adore korean food. i think i could successfully live off kimchi for a few years at least.