Sunday, October 26, 2008

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

I couldn't possibly post all of my photos and stories of my trip to New Zealand; there are just too many and it wouldn't be right if, three months from now, you were still reading about a trip I took way back when.

It was difficult leaving such a beautiful country, and I can truly say that I fell in love with the place. It's green, clean and has a booming gourmet food scene that's full of life and vitality. There's a lot of optimism here; people are excited and hopeful in a way I haven't seen in a while.

Of course the most memorable parts of my trip involved the people I met over my two-week adventure. The chefs, the tour guides, the cab drivers - everyone was kind, friendly and eager to share. They were proud and it showed in whatever they produced.


New Zealand surprised me in a lot of ways. I had been once before, and though I have fond memories of it, it didn't leave a memorable impression. This time was different. If I was talking about just the food alone, I would say I had at least a half-dozen dishes that were completely new to me, and prepared in ways that I hadn't seen before. I was introduced to a wide range of vegetables that I had never before tasted, and had some of the best seafood I've ever eaten in my life. Suffice it to say that I will most likely be disappointed by any mussels dish I'll order here in the states after feasting on the monster-sized, insanely rich and succulent variety available in New Zealand.

There were other revelations as well. I was actually able to go through an airport without any security checks. I walked up, said my name, got my ticket and was on the plane (intercontinental flight, not international). Before you get all worked up about how the NZ government is risking lives, etc., just appreciate the simplicity of something we were able to do - without any fear - less than ten years ago. It was a small and precious gift.

I loved that so many people I met had left their corporate jobs to move onto something more fulfilling; a former Parliament writer turned beer expert/writer; a former IT manager who became a vintner; an advertising executive who is now giving foodie tours around her neighborhood. Lifestyle matters to these people, and they proved that sometimes taking a risk pays off - not monetarily, but in ways that are priceless.


I got to witness people living a simpler life, one with few material goods but filled with family traditions and spiritual connections. A life of hard work, and a life hard-earned.


There were plenty of people marching to the beat of their own drum. And the respect they were shown by the mainstream really impressed me.


Now I have to do the seemingly impossible: I have to sit down and write a feature story on this country and its culinary point of view and the people who define it. How I will ever do them justice is beyond me, but all I can do is try my best.



Wish me luck!

1 comment:

H. C. said...

I am sure you'll do justice to the cuisine and culture of New Zealand, can't wait to see it published and I'm sure the Kiwis feel the same way too.