Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Time to Celebrate Sweet Freedom!

My dad has worked for many, many years. So when he retired last Friday, we wanted to throw him a surprise party that would be worthy of all the hard work he's put into his job over the last few decades. So my sister, mom and I schemed and plotted for a few weeks and decided to have it at my house, since I have a relatively large patio perfect for a big gathering.

We looked into catering companies, and while some of the menus looked impressive, we were hesitant. There is nothing WORSE than paying for mediocre food, which has happened to all of us at one point or another. What if the chicken was dry? Or the salad was overdressed?

So we followed the old adage of, "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself." We planned our own menu, dividing up the work between the three of us, rented tables and chairs from a party company, and my mom worked on decorations including the incredible flower arrangements for each table. My bro-in-law's brother donated the wine from his winery, and I hit BevMo for liquor and mixers. You know what? It wasn't even that hard, and I think we all enjoyed doing the work for the party.

The party was a huge success. The guests all arrived on time. My dad was completely taken by surprise. And the food? Everything turned out great. The whole party, including the food, drinks, rentals, extra platters, ice buckets, etc., cost less than the price of a caterer's quote on JUST the food/service. Not to pat ourselves on the back, but I think the food wouldn't have been any better had we hired someone else to do it. Judge for yourselves....

We started off with an appetizer buffet which included the most popular app of the evening: tuna tartar and salmon tartar in wonton cups. We got the tartars from our favorite local sushi chef, and I made the cups myself. Using a cookie cutter, I simply cut out rounds from square wonton skins, pressed them into a mini muffin tin, sprayed with cooking oil and baked at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.


My sister made these delectable goat cheese and prosciutto crostini with fig jam. The sweet jam was the perfect compliment to the salty prosciutto and the tangy goat cheese.

She also made this fresh crab salad in endive cup appetizer. It was light and healthy and delicious.

Always a party favorite, I put together these caprese skewers using marinated mozzarella balls, fresh basil leaves and sweet plum tomatoes.

Here's a snap of everyone enjoying appetizers and drinks during the early portion of the evening.

Now on to the dinner: We also did a buffet for the main courses, which included my sister's summer squash gratin. I think many of our guests didn't realize they liked squash until they ate this!

She also made a polenta-crusted shrimp with a roasted tomato dipping sauce, which I believe she got from one of Giada DeLaurentis' cookbooks.


I made this easy salmon wrapped in puff pastry with dill and honey mustard. The last time I made this, at a birthday party for my dad, we didn't get to eat it because for some unknown reason, I stuck both of my BARE hands in the oven to pull out the baking sheet with the salmon. Needless to say, I dropped it onto the floor as soon as I felt the searing heat of the molten hot metal on my hands and the salmon ended up in a hundred flaky pieces on the floor. This time I remembered to put on oven mits.


I also made another one of my favorites, Michael Chiarello's Pea Panzanella salad. It's an Italian bread salad coated with a pea and cream puree, served over spring mix.


My sister made Wolfgang Puck's Chinois Chicken Salad. But she substituted almonds for the crispy wontons, fearing that they wouldn't stay crispy. Good call. The toasted almonds added a nice crunch and flavor to the salad.


The big hit of the evening was her simple but perfect beef tenderloin with a port wine reduction. The meat was wonderfully tender and flavorful.


There's the guest of honor, taking a little sample at the buffet table. He had a very good time!

We had a lovely group at the party, including Steve and Jeff, who we've known forever. My older sister Joy and her husband Rick came down from San Jose, and my sister's in-laws drove all the way down from Marin.


For dessert, we ordered a lemon and lemon cream cheese cake from Violet's in Pasadena. It was pretty good, though it was a bit dry for my taste.

The party went on well into the night, with a few of us taking the extra step to go into the early morning (you know who you are!). I think it's safe to say that everyone left full and happy, including my dad. Thanks again to everyone who came out for this very special event!

9 comments:

Anastasy said...

What a fabulous spread! Congratulations to your Dad, and to you, your mom, and sis for pulling off such a fun event. Are you sure you're never going back into catering?

Susan C said...

Yes, this was an amazing and beautiful spread. I love the easy idea of the mozza, basil and tomato skewers. And the crab salad on the endive is a lovely, simple idea too. I will be copy catting both! I wish I had that long, narrow tray they were served on .

How does your sis make her crab salad?

Clare said...

Thanks to you both! Susan, those long trays are available at Target, and are made of plastic. They are $12.99 each but going fast. Check my sister's Tuna Toast blog and I'm sure she'd be happy to email you the recipe.

Clare said...

P.S. The endive tray is actually two trays, not one, long one. But each are pretty long! :)

Susan C said...

Thanks for the tip on the trays, Clare. I'm off to Target!

Sarah said...

The dinner you guys made looks fabulous!! I am especially intrigued by the salmon puff pastries. Would you mind posting the recipe??

Clare said...

Hi Sarah,

The salmon is SUPER easy:

Basically I took a large salmon filet (enough to cut into 10 pieces, but you can use whatever size suits your needs) and had the butcher remove the skin - it also has to be boneless. I brushed the salmon with honey mustard, then sprinkled with chopped dill and salt and pepper. I then took two sheets of puff pastry and wrapped the salmon in it - you may only need one sheet if you are using a smaller piece of salmon. I cut slits in the top of the puff pastry (to mark where I would slice it) and brushed it with eggwash. Baked in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.

You can get frozen puff pastry sheets at the grocery store; I like Peppridge Farms but you can use any brand you like. Thaw in the fridge overnight. You may have to roll out the sheets to make them bigger if you need.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Enjoy! :)

Sarah said...

Thanks so much!!

Tom Fairlie said...

Hi, I happened to be scanning the web for ideas on how to put together a caprese skewers appetizer for a fou-fou party I've been invited too. Have to say that of all the images I saw, yours was the best. AND... now I hooked on reading your blog. What great photos! Thanks