Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Thing of Beauty

I'm in Japan, and I know what you are thinking: Where's the sushi? It's coming, I promise, but realize that the Japanese make many other foods besides raw fish, and they do them damn well. The above is my breakfast from the other morning, a puffed pastry shell filled with cheesy pasta from Mr. Donut. Weird? Not even. Perfection? Absolutely. The puffed pastry is flaky, buttery and melts in your mouth. The pasta is mild, with a lovely creamy cheese sauce. And the whole thing is actually really light, not heavy in the least. How do they do this??? I have no idea, but it is a thing of beauty, this.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I LOVE Mister Donut! I went there once a week when I lived in Japan two years ago. Sadly, they didn't have the cheesy pasta puff when I was there, but I'm sure it was as excellent as you say. I agree they're donuts are really good b/c they're so light!!