Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sunday Cooking: Salad Days

It's been dang hot lately, so slaving over a hot stove hasn't been at the top of my "to do" list in recent weeks. That said, it doesn't mean that I haven't been eating quite well.

Last night I whipped up this simple and delicious beet greens, beet and goat cheese salad. Most people waste those veiny, dense leafs on the stems of the beets, which are actually pretty tasty. I'd say the flavor falls somewhere between arugula and spinach; a little peppery, with that hearty spinach texture.

I simply roasted the beets in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes (drizzle with olive oil and sea salt before baking). Then I ripped up the greens and added a splash of lemon juice, salt, pepper and good olive oil and tossed. Crumble up some goat cheese and toss in the cooled beets and you've got yourself a hearty and tasty salad.

No comments: